Skip to main content

Professional Engineer – License Information

Starting May 28, 2010, state law requires all applicants seeking licensure in Wisconsin as professional engineers to meet new education, work experience and examination requirements.
The new requirements may be found in 2009 Wisconsin Act 350.
Applications for a professional engineer license under the previous registration requirements cannot be accepted by the Department after May 27, 2010.


To obtain a professional engineer license by examination:

1) Satisfy ONE of the following education and experience requirements:

a. Graduation from an accredited program approved by the Examining Board as of satisfactory standing in an engineering course of not less than four years, together with an additional four years of experience in engineering work of a character satisfactory to the Examining Board and indicating that the applicant is competent to be placed in responsible charge of such work;


b. graduation from an approved technical college approved by the Examining Board in an engineering-related course of study of not less than two years and at least six years of engineering experience.

Foreign Education Evaluation: All education received outside the United States, must be evaluated before submitting it to the Department with your application. The Professional Engineer Section will accept education evaluations only from NCEES Credentials Evaluations. No other credential evaluation services will be accepted. No credit will be allowed for education submitted without an educational evaluation. For more information about NCEES credential evaluations, visit the NCEES web site to find out how to apply online, or write to:

Credentials Evaluations Services
PO Box 1686
Clemson SC 29633‑1686

Note: If the application data is not submitted online, there will be an additional fee. To contact NCEES by phone, call (865) 654‑6824.

2) Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and the Principles & Practices of Engineering (PE) Examinations.

FUNDAMENTALS OF ENGINEERING EXAMINATION (FE): To be eligible to take the FE, an applicant must be at least a senior in an accredited B.S. Engineering Program. Information on the examination content is available on the NCEES web site. You may take the FE after you meet this requirement without applying to the engineering board for authorization.

PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE EXAMINATION (PE): To take the Principles and Practice of Engineering Examination, you must satisfy all the following requirements:

a. Satisfy ONE of the education & experience requirements outlined in step 1 above.

b. Submit an application to the Examining Board for review. A complete application includes:

Applications must be reviewed by the Examining Board before the Department can authorize you to take the PE. An application for examination must be filed with the Examining Board no later than 90 days before the scheduled date for the examination.

c. Register online with NCEES by visiting their web site at: www.ncess.org. RE-EXAM applicants must register on-line with NCEES by the deadline date to be scheduled for the examination.

3) Notify the Department that you have passed the FE and PE Examinations by submitting Form #2727, Application Packet Addendum.

The Department will notify you after your license has been issued.

To obtain a license by Comity (if you hold an unexpired license in another state):

An applicant may apply for registration if he or she holds an unexpired registration in another state in which registration requirements are not lower than those in Wisconsin. The applicant must have passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering, the NCEES Principles and Practice Examination, and have eight years of engineering experience.

Applicants may apply using NCEES Council Record or by direct application.

If applying by NCEES Council Record

1. Make a request to NCEES asking that they forward your Council Record to the Department.

2. Submit an application. A complete application includes:

Please read Form #2449, Instruction for Professional Credential before completing the forms.

If applying by direct application

1. Submit an application. A complete application includes:

Please read Form #2449, Instructions for Professional Credential before completing any of the forms.

Applicants applying for licensure under comity may be eligible for a temporary permit to proceed with a pending project during the time it takes to process the application for registration. An applicant desiring a permit must include a letter specifically requesting the permit which includes a description of the project (location, approximate size, and cost), a copy of their current registration card from the original state of registration and the temporary permit fee. When filling out Form #1736, Application for Professional Engineer Credential, the credential fee and the temporary permit fee must accompany the request for a temporary permit. The temporary permit is optional and is not a requirement for licensure.

If you hold a current license in another state, please have Form #475, Verification of Examination or Registration completed by the state board where you are currently licensed.

To reinstate a license that has been expired more than five years:

If you wish to renew your license, but more than five years has passed since the renewal date, you must submit:

Applicants for reinstatement may not submit NCEES Council Record in place of Form #463, Experience Record .

 or Form #2490, Professional Engineer Applicant Reference Forms. Please submit only the forms provided by the Department.

Please read Form #2287, Instructions for Credential Reinstatement before completing any of the forms.


A firm, partnership or corporation requestig a certificate of authorization shall submit fees and the completed application to the department. Please click on Certificate of Authority – Architectural, Engineering or Designer of Engineering Systems for more information and to obtain the application.

Application Process