To obtain a Barber license by examination:
1. Complete one of the following education requirements:
- Graduate from high school.
- Attain high school graduation equivalency.
- Participate in a program approved by the Department.
- Be at least 18 years of age and meet the ability to benefit rule under 20 USC 1091(d).
2. Complete one of the following training requirements:
- Graduate from a prescribed barbering course of at least 1,000 hours in a school of barbering or school of cosmetology licensed by the Department.
- Successfully complete an apprenticeship of at least 1,712 hours of practical training and at least 288 training hours of instruction in a school of barbering or school of cosmetology licensed by the Department. Training must be at least 32 hours per week and be completed in not more than 4 years.
3. Pass the examination.
Applicants who have completed all training may be issued a temporary permit to practice for up to 6 months. To apply for a temporary permit and schedule an appointment to take the exam, contact the Department's contracted vendor, Pearson VUE, by calling 1‑800‑274‑7488 or visit their website at http://www.pearsonvue.com/wi/cos/
To obtain a Barber license by endorsement:
If you are currently licensed in another state and have completed at least 4,000 hours of licensed practice, you may apply for licensure by endorsement.
To reinstate a Barber license:
A person whose license has been expired for more than 5 years is required to pass the current licensing examination (written and practical) to demonstrate minimum competency in services and subjects substantially related to practice and public health and safety.
To request an approval letter to take the examination, please call or send an email to the Department with the following information: your name (prior names if your name has changed), your license number and your current address.
You will be required to submit the reinstatement fee to the Department of Safety & Professional Services after passing the examination.
To renew a Barber license:
Click here to see the barber renewal information page.