Skip to main content

Renewal Requirements - Cosmetologist

Barbering and Cosmetology FAQs: 
Please read the FAQs for information about renewal, continuing education, license transitions and inactive status: BAC 2017 Renewal FAQs

Renewal Requirements:
 - FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
- SIG  (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education requirements, included in on-line renewal and paper form.)
- If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or dsps@wisconsin.gov.
- 2017 Renewal Cycle begins February 10.  You may renew online or request paper forms at that time.
Renewal Methods:
- On-line log in here: License Renewal Online
- Request a Paper Renewal Form: (888) 506‑4239 or (608) 261‑4460 for the Madison area.

Inactive 454 Status:
- If you do not intend to practice and want your license to be placed on Inactive 454 Status per Wis. Stats 454.06(8m) and 454.23(6), you can partially renew online.  If your license status is NOT already Inactive 454, you CAN complete the renewal online, up to the payment.  DO NOT PAY online.  Follow instructions given during the renewal process.

If you do not start the renewal for this Inactive 454 status online, you will need to email our office beginning February 10th, 2017 to request paper renewal forms: DSPSRenewal@wisconsin.gov. You will also need to submit Form R454. Please make sure to inform staff at the Department to include a R454 form to complete or you can print it from the website. 
- Your license status must be in good standing before being placed on Inactive Status. 
- The 2017 renewal fee is prorated to $41.00 for Inactive Status.

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012) 

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210 for further information.